Jul 1, 2010

Ten off the top


"Unclose your mind. You are not a prisoner. You are a bird in flight, searching the skies for dreams."                  ~Haruki Murakami {from Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World}

Thoughts like that are why Haruki Murakami has held place in my heart as numero uno ever since I first peeled back the pages of the above book over 10 years ago...


As summer surges on, and with a Holiday weekend approaching I find myself thinking about books, books, books!  I have a few in mind to read this summer which I'll share in another post, but first I wanted to share some of my all time favorite reads.  These books are in no particular order other than Murakami's novel, which is what I'd take with me if I were stranded on a desert island and allowed only one book. 

Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World ~ Haruki Murakami
One Hundred Years of Solitude ~ Gabriel García Márquez
Stone from the River ~ Ursula Hegi
Geek Love ~ Katherine Dunn
Tipping the Velvet ~ Sarah Waters
Of Human Bondage ~ W. Somerset Maugham
The Grapes of Wrath ~ John Steinbeck
The Alchemist ~ Paulo Coelho
The Fountainhead ~ Ayn Rand
In the Time of the Butterflies ~ Julia Alverez

What about you?  What books do you recommend off the cuff?  I love hearing about the books that inspire others.

No comments:

Post a Comment